TIGER AT A GLANCE
The project officially started on 1 October 2009. Project duration 36 months.
TIGER is the acronym of “Transit via Innovative Gateway concepts solving European - intermodal Rail needs”. TIGER Project is a Large Scale Integrated Collaborative Project for the development of Rail transport in competitive and co-modal freight logistics chains.
TIGER project development was conceived by taking into consideration four basic European transport constraints:
- Substantial increase of freight mobility demand versus an insufficient or constrained infrastructure and particularly the rail one.
- The Ports of entry into the Union, both North and South are congested due to difficulties of moving their traffic inland in an industrial way coherent with their traffic volumes.
- The environmental situation and climate changes are imposing transport solutions towards a more sustainable mobility. Modal shift is being encouraged.
- Costs and construction timings dictate that any infrastructure expansion will take at least a decade to produce its beneficial effects. It is therefore imperative that the best possible productivity is extracted from the available European infrastructures.
TIGER will study the necessary step changes for providing a solution to EU ports and road congestion. Traffic should reach European inland destinations in an industrial way leading to a more sustainable mobility. The objectives of keeping the traffic moving through the European ports increasing rail freight’s market share and improving the Rail Network productivity, are indeed the biggest challenges of our times.
In order to approach these challenges from different geographical locations, four separate demonstrators were planned to support the development of intermodality in Europe providing suitable answers for problem solving. This objective carry another challenge. The solutions must be achieved by finding the right balance between geographical locations, existing infrastructures, local characteristics, natural barriers, hinterland penetration and environmental protection.
The 4 Demonstrators
The TIGER Project is constituted by 4 Demonstrators described in detail under WP Objectives:
- GENOA FAST CORRIDOR
- INNOVATIVE PORT & HINTERLAND OPERATIONS
- INTERMODAL NETWORK 2015